NEET 2017: Age Limit and limited attemps to go says MCI
In a relief to thousands of candidates who have or are planning to apply for National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET 2017) for MBBS and BDS courses, the Medical Council of India(MCI) has decided to remove limitations over age and attempt will be removed.
As per reports the decision of MCI has been taken on recommendations from the oversight committee and the Union Health Ministry. MCI vice-president Dr CV Bhirmanandham said that the oversight committee felt that such limitations will reduce the number of doctors in the country. The Union Health Ministry agreed and suggested recommendation to us.
He further added that the decision has been taken as they would want everyone an opportunity to clear the test. Students who don’t make it this year either because they haven’t prepared for the test or because they haven’t applied for the test on time can always try later.
The decision is also been take as it gives even undergraduate students of BSc an opportunity. The panel, headed by former chief justice RM Lodha, said it was in favour of striking down the government’s eligibility criteria because there is a dearth of doctors in the country.
This decision has been taken as CBSE had earlier released the official notification announcing limits to age and number of attempts for candidates appearing for NEET UG 2017.
After protest from the students and parents, the government rectified the norms and announced NEET-2017 to be considered as the first attempt for all candidates.
There have been reports that Supreme Court is likely to hear case against the age limit on March 20 for the NEET aspirants.
CBSE has fixed the upper age limit of 25 years for candidates appearing for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET).