How many wars have India fought with other countries
How many wars india fought
India has fought totally 5 wars with her neighboring countries ( 4 with Pakistan and 1 with China). Each day India faces a ceasefire violation from the Pakistani side over the Kashmir issue and sometimes from the Chinese side over the Arunachal issue.
- The war of 1947/1948 ( first Kashmir War) – this was fought against Pakistan over the Kashmir issue. After independence, all princely states were asked whether they wanted to join India or Pakistan. Kashmir was among these princely states. However before a referendum could take place, Pakistan tried annexing Kashmir, citing the Muslim majority as a reason. The king of Kashmir came to India for help. The moment we started gaining a strong military position in this war, Nehru went to the UN and declared a cease fire.
- Sino-Indian war of 1962 – This war happened due to poor political gameplay of India’s first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru and Defence minister Krishna Menon who remained naive and negligent towards the war and gave full opportunity to China to come and occupy Aksai Chin and Arunachal Pradesh. China attacked India with the objective to take Arunachal Pradesh. Although there are various theories on the objectives of the war. We were thrashed. To quote the Time – “the Indian army was short if everything but courage”. However China did declare a cease fire going back to the borders pre 1962.
- 1965 Indo-Pak War – Again fought over Kashmir. War was to a large extent inconclusive.
- 1971 war – Aka liberation of Bangladesh. This was a huge victory for the Indian army where we liberated Bangladesh(east Pakistan then) in the course of 12-13 days. There were significant victories even in the western front including Longewala. Perhaps the greatest hour for the army.
- Kargil war in 1999 – The Kargil War, also known as the Kargil conflict, was an armed conflict between India and Pakistan that took place between May and July 1999 in the Kargil sector of Jammu and Kahmir and elsewhere along the Line of Control. In India, the conflict is also referred to as Operation Vijay which was the name of the Indian operation to clear the Kargil sector. Pakistan captured a few important peaks which overlook the Kashmir-Ladakh highways. Another attempt to capture J&K. The intruders were defeated by the army.