- Kapil Dev’s Nickname is Haryana Hurricane, he represented the Haryana cricket team in domestic cricket.
- He was born 6th January, 1959 in Chandigarh.
- Kapil Dev played his first competitive game of cricket at the age of 13.
- In Chandigarh he used to be a regular spectator to watch the inter-sector matches.
- One Sunday the Sector 16 team fell one player short and Kapil who had gone to watch the match was taken in as a replacement.
- The sector 16 team boasted of 3 players who had played Ranji Trophy cricket for Haryana.
- The young Kapil Dev impressed them with his attitude and talent and became a regular member of the side.
- His family noticing his passion for the game encouraged him to take up the game seriously.
- His elder brother gave him lots of encouragement and at age 14, Kapil started playing for DAV school.
- He was coached by Desh Prem Azad, a well known cricket coach in Chandigarh.
- At the age of 15, Kapil Dev was invited to attend a live-in coaching camp in Bombay.
- The camp held at the Cricket Club Of India was conducted by Hemu Adhikari who also was an ex India test cricketer.
- Kapil Dev made his first class debut in November 1975 at the age of 17.
- He played for his home state Haryana against neighboring state of Punjab.
- His performance in this match was very impressive as he got 6 wickets for just 39 runs.
- In another top class performance he picked up 8/36 against Jammu and Kashmir.
- His 7 for 20 against Bengal and 8 for 38 against Services are considered to be one of the best bowling performances in the Indian domestic cricket.
- Kapil Dev made his Test debut on 16th October 1978 at Faisalabad against Pakistan.
- His bowling in the first innings was disappointing as he had figures of 0/71 from 16 overs.
- In the second innings he bowled better and got his first test wicket that of Sadiq Mohammad.
- India was comprehensively beaten in that series but it saw the emergence of Kapil Dev as a talented fast bowler and all rounder.
- He learned a lot in this series and modified his action on the advice of Sunil Gavaskar and started bowling from close to the stumps to make his out swingers more effective and lethal.
- He also performed creditably with the bat and made some useful scores in the middle order.
- His best batting performance was the innings of 59 in 48 balls which included two sixes and eight fours in the third Test at Karachi.
- Till he retired in mid 90’s, Kapil Dev was one of the leading all rounders in the game.
- He held the record for the most number of Test and One day wickets for quite a long time till Courtney Walsh and Wasim Akram took over respectively.
- Captaining India to win the World Cup in 1983 was the highlight of his illustrious career.
- Other highlights include leading India to a 2-0 series win against a strong England side in England in 1986.
World Records of Kapil Dev :
- Only bowler to have scored 5000 runs and chipping in (400+) 434 wickets.
- Kapil Dev is the only bowler after the legendry Vinoo Mankad to use Mankading trick to get a batsman out. In a match against South Africa, Kapil Dev knocked off Peter Kirsten’s (non-striker) bails after giving him two warning previously for crossing a line even before a bowl is bowled.
- Kapil Dev scalped 75-wicket in a single year (1983) most by a cricket captain.
- He became the first player to do the double of 100-wicket and 1000-run at just 21-year of age.
- The Haryana Hurricane had been conferred with Arjuna Award, Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan.
- Kapil Dev was the first player to score 3000 runs and picking up 250 wickets.
- Kapil Dev accomplished a rare feat of never getting a run out in his entire career.
Who is called as Haryana Hurricane ?
Why Kapil Dev Nickname is Haryana Hurricane ?
Which famous Indian is also known as Haryana Hurricane ?
Whose Nick Name is Haryana Hurricane ?
Who is Haryana Hurricane ?