Difference between MOAB vs FOAB – The Mother & Father of All Bombs! Which is the most powerful non-nuclear bomb?
Difference between MOAB vs FOAB
The United States military has today dropped a non-nuclear bomb in eastern Afghanistan. According to the news report, United States has dropped a GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb, nicknamed MOAB and also known as Mother of All Bomb, at 7 pm local time Thursday. Some report suggests that the 21,000 pound bomb is capable of destroying a large surface area up to 1 miles and it is used for the first time in combat.
The United States military is currently assessing the damage. This is the first time a MOAB has been used on the battlefield, a reported said. This ammunition was developed during the Iraq War.
The MOAB has been dropped to target ISIS tunnels and terrorists hiding in the Achin district of the Nangarhar province, Afghanistan. The bomb was today dropped by an MC-130 aircraft, operated by Air Force Special Operations Command, a report said.
What is Mother of All Bombs (MOAB)?
The “Mother of All Bombs” or MOAB is officially known as the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast, is said to be the most powerful non-nuclear weapon in United States arsenal. The bomb has a capacity to penetrate through 60 meters (200 feet) of enforced concrete and is therefore suitable for deployment in contained environments such as bunkers and caves.
This is the first time a MOAB has been used in the battlefield. The MOAB was developed during Iraq War.
MOAB is considered as “the most fearsome explosive weapon” in the Pentagon’s possession. The Russian version of the MOAB is nicknamed as the “Father of All Bombs” or FOAB which is a bomber-delivered thermobaric weapon.
- Up to 1000 yards: Obliterates everything.
- Up to 1 mile: Knocks people, tents, light buildings, cars and jeeps over within 1-mile radius.
- Up to 1.7 miles: Shockwave kills people, causes severe damage to properties, equipment, blows trucks, tank off road.
- Up to 2 miles: Causes deafness.
- Up to 5 miles: Shakes ground, break windows.
- Up to 30 miles: 10,000 foot high mushroom crowd.
Watch How Mother Of All Bombs Explodes:
Most information on MOAB comes from a 2008 article from Eglin Air Force Base. The article which marked the five-year anniversary of the bomb, says that the GBU-43 weighs a massive 21,600 pounds. During testing, the MOAB created a mushroom cloud which was visible from 20 miles away from the blast.
Here are some features of MOAB:
- Each MOAB costs around US $16 million.
- So far the United States has 20 such weapons and the military has spent almost $314 million on the production of the explosive.
- The original goal of building the MOAB was to act as a non-nuclear deterrent against former Iraq dictator Saddam Hussein.
- At the time of its development, MOAB was considered as the most powerful non-nuclear weapon ever designed.
- After MOAB was tested, Russia on the other side tested its “Father of All Bombs”, which is claimed to be four times as powerful as the MOAB.
What is Father of All Bomb (FOAB)?
The Father Of All Bomb, designed by Russian military is reportedly four times as powerful as the United States Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb (MOAB). Which means that the Russian device is much more powerful conventional weapon in the world. On the other side, Russia’s claims had concerned the United States and its defence analysts had always questioned about the power of FOAB.
In 2007, FOAB was first successfully field-tested in the late evening of September 11. The thermobaric device yields equivalent of 44 tonnes of TNT.
According to some reports, General Alexander Rushkin, the Russian Deputy Chief of Staff, claimed that the new bomb is smaller than the MOAB but much deadlier as the blast is twice as high then compared to MOAB.
Watch How Father Of All Bomb Explodes:
Here are some features of FOAB:
- “Father of All Bombs” (FOAB) is a Russian-designed, bomber-delivered thermobaric weapon.
- Some reports suggest that the bomb specially designed by Russian military is four times more powerful than MOAB.
- Hence FOAB is considered as the most powerful non-nuclear weapon in the world.
- Also, United States defence analysts had several time raised questions on the veracity of Russia’s claims.
- On September 11, 2007, FOAB was successfully tested in the late evening.
Source : india com